Join us as we speak to Heidi MacAlpine, a chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) patient and occupational therapist. In this episode, Heidi talks to us about her diagnosis of CLL and how she has utilized wellness techniques to reduce inflammation and maintain a good quality of life while on a watch and wait protocol.
This episode will help patients, caregivers and healthcare professionals understand the benefits of adding wellness practices to conventional therapies, such as yoga, mindfulness, journaling, and massage, to decrease side effects and improve the life of patients following a cancer diagnosis.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher | Blubrry | JioSaavn | TuneIn | RSS | MoreCLICK HERE to participate in our episode survey.
Mentioned on this episode:
- Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia (CLL)
- Watch and Wait (Active Monitoring) protocol
- LLS Write It Out Journal
- Genetic predisposition to CLL
- National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health
- Patient-Doctor Perspectives: Shared Decision Making podcast episode
- Shared Decision Making in Chronic Leukemias interactive program
- American Association for Cancer Research
- Interleukin 8
- Caregiver support
Additional LLS Support Resources:
- Information Specialists
- Financial support
- Free telephone/web patient programs
- Free booklets
- Patti Robinson Kaufmann First Connection Program
- Clinical Trial Support Center
- LLS Financial Assistance Program
- LLS Community
- Online chats
- Support groups
- Caregiver Workbook
- Free Nutrition Consultations
- LLS Advocacy
- Survivorship Workbook
Support for this episode provided by: BeiGene USA, Inc.; Bristol Myers Squibb; Genentech, Inc. & Biogen; Loxo Oncology at Lilly and Pharmacyclics, An AbbVie Company & Janssen Biotech.
I was diagnosed in September 2022 with non Hodgkins Small B cell. It’s a wait & watch cancer. It is very unusual. It too was found in a freakish way. After banging my left ankle with the metal portion of my screen door, 2 days in a row, I developed a hematoma. It didn’t self resolve. I went to 5 different doctors more than once in the course of over a year. I had a biopsy in September. Radiation tx in December. Next appointment with oncologist in February. I gained so much knowledge and inspiration from this podcast. Heidi, I pray that God blesses you with good health and abundant hope! Marlene U
An excellent listen. Worth your time. Thank you, Heidi. We need more like you.